RNDr. Petr Vaňhara, PhD
We are curious:
- how normal and cancer cells exploit molecular machinery of endoplasmic reticulum and unfolded protein response to adapt to various forms of stress in tissue microenvironment
- if the integrated stress response can be used for monitoring and prediction of outcome of cancer patients
- how individual stress-associated proteins affect cancer cell phenotype
- state-of-the-art microscopy including live-cell imaging
- range of molecular and histological methods and tools
- animal facility, including ultrasound sonography and tumor volumometry
We develop techniques for:
- cell profiling and phenotyping using mass spectrometry and chemometrics
- mass spectrometry-assisted tissue analysis and diagnostics
- New tools for high throughput quality control of clinical grade pluripotent stem cells and progenitors (funded Ministry of health of the Czech Republic)(FNUSA-ICRC, 2018-2022, PI)
- Role of TUSC3-mediated ER stress response in dissemination of ovarian cancer, supported by the Czech-BioImaging large RI project (LM2015062 funded by MEYS CR) (2017, PI)
- ER stress response in aging and regeneration, supported by the Czech-BioImaging large RI project (LM2015062 funded by MEYS CR) (2017, PI)
- Institutional support by Faculty of Medicne MU for junior researchers (2015, PI)
- Centrosomal abnormalities in human pluripotent stem cells (Czech Science Foundation, 2015–present, member of the team)
- Bioanalytical Cell and Tissue Authentication using Physical Chemistry Methods and Artificial Intelligence (Grant Agency of Masaryk University, 2013–2015, member of the team)
- HistoPARK – Centre for analysis and modeling of tissues and organs (European Regional Fund, 2012–2015)
- Molecular mechanisms of novel tumor markers in ovarian and prostate cancers (Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic, 2012-2013, co-PI)
- Innovation of tools and study materials for education of Laboratory assistants (Developmental Fund of Masaryk University, 2018, PI)
- Reconstruction and scaling-up of educational collection of histological samples at the Department of Histology and Embryology FM MU (Developmental Fund of Masaryk University, 2017, PI)
- Interactive cytological and histological atlas (Developmental Fund of Masaryk University, 2016, PI)
Mgr. Lukáš Moráň
- PhD Thesis (in Anatomy, Histology and Embryology): Endoplasmic reticulum-associated mechanisms of tissue homeostasis
- PhD Talent Award 2018 (Brno City Municipality and South Moravian Centre for International Mobility)
- BSc Thesis (in Medical Genetics and Molecular Diagnostics): Molecular machinery of UPR in cancer prediction
- volunteer research assistant
Former team members
Mgr. Kateřina Vašíčková (Kratochvílová), PhD.
- 2018 PhD in Anatomy, Histology and Embryology: Role of cell stress in senescence and malignant transformation
8th Stem Cells and Cell Therapy Conference – From Research to Modern Applications 2019 – Best Presentation Award in Students’ Section goes to Lukáš Moráň!
63rd Students’ Scientific Conference, Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University 2019 – Best Presentation Award in PhD Section goes to Lukáš Moráň!
XVIIIth Interdisciplinary Meeting of Young Researchers Milovy 2018 – Best Poster Award
XVIIIth Interdisciplinary Meeting of Young Researchers Milovy 2018
Moráň et al. “Novel anticancer (1,10-phenanthroline)2Cu(II) complexes are inducing ER stress mediated apoptosis in ovarian cancer cells.”
Journal of Cell Biology Poster Prize & ICCB Prague 2016 – Best Poster Award
International Congress of Cell Biology, Prague, 2016
Kratochvilova et al. “ER Stress Modulates Senescence and EMT in Ovarian Surface Epithelium.“
2015 Prize of the Czech Society for Analytical Cytometry for the best research publication
Kratochvilova K., et al. (2015) “Tumor suppressor candidate 3 (TUSC3) prevents the epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and inhibits tumor growth by modulating the endoplasmic reticulum stress response in ovarian cancer cells”. Int J Cancer 137: 1330-1340.
Lukáš was recognized by the Brno City Municipality and South Moravian Centre for International Mobility and was awarded for three years with financial support to pursue his PhD Thesis.
Congratulations to become a new PhD Talent!
Our collaboration network includes both national and international laboratories
- Dr. Karel Souček, Institute of Biophysics, Academy of Science of the Czech Republic
- Dr. Pena-Mendez, University of La Laguna, Spain
- prof. Victoria Salvado, University of Girona, Spain
- prof. Tiziana Pivetta, University of Cagliari, Italy
- Dr. Peter Horak, German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), Heidelberg, Germany
- Moráň L., Pivetta T., Masuri S., Vašíčková K., Walter F., Prehn J. H. M., Elkalaf M., Trnka J., Havel J., Vanhara P. Mixed copper (II)-phenanthroline complexes induce cell death of ovarian cancer cells by evoking unfolded protein response. Metallomics. (2019). in press.
- Deulofeu M., Kolarova L., Salvado V., Pena-Mendez E.M., Almasi M., Stork M. Pour L. Boadas-Vaello P., Sevcikova S., Havel J., Vanhara P. Rapid discrimination of multiple myeloma patients by artificial neural networks coupled with mass spectrometry of peripheral blood plasma. Sci Rep. (2019) 9(1): 7975.
- Besse L, Besse A, Mendez-Lopez M, Vasickova K, Sedlackova M, Vanhara P, Kraus M, Bader J, Ferreira RB, Castellano RK, Law BK, Driessen C. A metabolic switch in proteasome inhibitor resistant multiple myeloma ensures higher mitochondrial metabolism, protein folding and sphingomyelin synthesis. Haematologica. (2019) pii: haematol.2018.207704. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2018.207704.
- Cadoni E, Vanhara P, Valletta E, Pinna E, Vascellari S, Caddeo G, Isaia F, Pani A, Havel J, Pivetta T. Mass spectrometric discrimination of phospholipid patterns in cisplatin-resistant and -sensitive cancer cells. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom., (2019) 33(1):97-106. doi: 10.1002/rcm.8320.
- Mandal G, Vaňhara P, Havel J. Laser ablation synthesis of carbon-phosphides from graphene/nanodiamond-phosphorus composite precursors: Laser desorption ionisation Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom., (2019) 33(5):520-526. doi: 10.1002/rcm.8379.
- Vasickova K, Moran L, Gurin D, Vanhara P. “Alleviation of endoplasmic reticulum stress by tauroursodeoxycholic acid delays senescence of mouse ovarian surface epithelium“. Cell Tissue Res., (2018): 374(3):643-652. doi: 10.1007/s00441-018-2888-9.
- Vaňhara P., Kučera L., Prokeš L., Jurečková L., Pena-Mendez E., Havel J., Hampl A. “Intact cell mass spectrometry as a quality control tool for revealing minute phenotypic changes of cultured human embryonic stem cells“. Stem Cells Transl Med., (2017): 7(1):109-114. doi: 10.1002/sctm.17-0107.
- Porokh V, Vaňhara P, Bárta T, Jurečková L, Bohačiaková D, Pospíšilová V, Mináriková D, Holubcová Z, Pelková V, Souček K, Hampl A. “Soluble Cripto-1 induces accumulation of supernumerary centrosomes and formation of aberrant mitoses in human embryonic stem cells“. Stem Cells Dev., (2018): 27(16):1077-1084. doi: 10.1089/scd.2018.0017.
- Vašíčková K, Horak P, Vaňhara P. “TUSC3: functional duality of a cancer gene“. Cell Mol Life Sci., (2017).doi: 10.1007/s00018-017-2660-4.
- Samadder P, Suchanková T, Hylse O, Khirsariya P, Nikulenkov F, Drápela S, Straková N, Vaňhara P, Vašíčková K, Kolářová H, Binó L, Bittová M, Ovesná P, Kollar P, Fedr R, Ešner M, Jaroš J, Hampl A, Krejčí L, Paruch K, Soucek K. “Synthesis and profiling of a novel potent selective inhibitor of CHK1 kinase possessing unusual N-trifluoromethylpyrazole pharmacophore resistant to metabolic N-dealkylation.” Mol Cancer Ther., (2017): 16(9):1831-1842. doi: 10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-17-0018.
- Kolarova, L., Prokes, L., Hampl, A., Vanhara, P., Havel, J. “Clusters of Monoisotopic Elements for Calibration in (TOF) Mass Spectrometry.” J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom. 28, no. 3 (2017): 419-427. doi: 10.1007/s13361-016-1567-x.
- Petr Vaňhara, Miroslava Sedláčková, Irena Lauschová, Svatopluk Čech, Aleš Hampl. “GUIDE to GENERAL HISTOLOGY and MICROSCOPIC ANATOMY“. Masaryk University, 2017. ISBN 978-80-210-8453-7.
- Kratochvílová, K., Moráň L., Paďourová, S., Stejskal, S., Tesařová, L., Šimara, P., Hampl, A., Koutná I., Vaňhara, P. “The Role of the Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress in Stemness, Pluripotency and Development.” Eur. J. Cell Biol. 95(3-5)(2016): 115-23. doi: 10.1016/j.ejcb.2016.02.002.
- Valletta, E., Kucera, L., Prokes, L., Amato, F., Pivetta, T., Hampl, A., Havel J., Vanhara, P. “Multivariate Calibration Approach for Quantitative Determination of Cell-Line Cross Contamination by Intact Cell Mass Spectrometry and Artificial Neural Networks.” PLoS One 11, no. 1 (2016): e0147414.
- Kolářová, Lenka, Lukáš Kučera, Petr Vaňhara, Aleš Hampl and Josef Havel. “Use of Flower-Like Gold Nanoparticles in Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry.” Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 29, no. 17 (2015): 1585-1595.
- Kratochvilova, K., P. Horak, M. Esner, K. Soucek, D. Pils, M. Anees, E. Tomasich, F. Drafi, V. Jurtikova, A. Hampl, M. Krainer and P. Vanhara. “Tumor Suppressor Candidate 3 (Tusc3) Prevents the Epithelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition and Inhibits Tumor Growth by Modulating the Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress Response in Ovarian Cancer Cells.” Int J Cancer 137, no. 6 (2015): 1330-40.
- Rucka, Z., I. Koutna, L. Teasarova, M. Potesilova, S. Stejskal, P. Simara, P. Vanhara, J. Dolezel, V. Zvonicek, O. Coufal and I. Capov. “Intravenous Insulin Therapy During Lung Resection Does Not Affect Lung Function or Surfactant Proteins.” BMC Pulm Med 14, no. 1 (2014): 155.
- Horak, P., E. Tomasich, P. Vanhara, K. Kratochvilova, M. Anees, M. Marhold, C. E. Lemberger, M. Gerschpacher, R. Horvat, M. Sibilia, D. Pils and M. Krainer. “TUSC3 Loss Alters the ER Stress Response and Accelerates Prostate Cancer Growth in Vivo.” Sci Rep 4, (2014): 3739.
- Houska, J., E. M. Pena-Mendez, J. R. Hernandez-Fernaud, E. Salido, A. Hampl, J. Havel and P. Vanhara. “Tissue Profiling by Nanogold-Mediated Mass Spectrometry and Artificial Neural Networks in the Mouse Model of Human Primary Hyperoxaluria 1.” Journal of Applied Biomedicine 12, no. 2 (2014): 119-125.
- Kolarova, L., P. Vanhara, E.M. Pena-mendez, A. Hampl and J. Havel. “Tissue Visualization Mediated by Nanoparticles: From Tissue Staining to Mass Spectrometry Tissue Profiling and Imaging.” In Nanomedicine, edited by A. Seifalian, 468-82. Manchester, UK: One Central Press, 2014.
- Anees, M., P. Horak, A. I. Schiefer, P. Vanhara, A. El-Gazzar, P. Perco, B. Kiesewetter, L. Mullauer, B. Streubel, M. Raderer and M. Krainer. “The Potential Evasion of Immune Surveillance in Malt Lymphoma by Dcr2-Mediated Upregulation of Nf-Kappab.” Leuk Lymphoma, (2014): 1-24.
- Amato, F. , A. Lopez, EM. Pena-Mendez, P. Vanhara, A. Hampl and J. Havel. “Artificial Neural Networks in Medical Diagnosis. ” J Appl Biomed 11, no. 2 (2013): 47-58.
- Pernicová, Zuzana, Petr Vaňhara and Karel Souček. “Formation of Secretory Senescent Cells in Prostate Tumors: The Role of Androgen Receptor Activity and Cell Cycle Regulation.” In Tumor Dormancy, Quiescence, and Senescence, Volume 1, edited by M. A. Hayat, 1, 303-316: Springer Netherlands, 2013.
- Pils, D., P. Horak, P. Vanhara, M. Anees, M. Petz, A. Alfanz, A. Gugerell, M. Wittinger, A. Gleiss, V. Auner, D. Tong, R. Zeillinger, E. I. Braicu, J. Sehouli and M. Krainer. “Methylation Status of TUSC3 Is a Prognostic Factor in Ovarian Cancer.” Cancer 119, no. 5 (2013): 946-54.
- Rucka, Z., P. Vanhara, I. Koutna, L. Tesarova, M. Potesilova, S. Stejskal, P. Simara, J. Dolezel, V. Zvonicek, O. Coufal and I. Capov. “Differential Effects of Insulin and Dexamethasone on Pulmonary Surfactant-Associated Genes and Proteins in A549 and H441 Cells and Lung Tissue.” Int J Mol Med, (2013).
- Vanhara, P., P. Horak, D. Pils, M. Anees, M. Petz, W. Gregor, R. Zeillinger and M. Krainer. “Loss of the Oligosaccharyl Transferase Subunit TUSC3Promotes Proliferation and Migration of Ovarian Cancer Cells.” Int J Oncol 42, no. 4 (2013): 1383-9.
- Vaňhara, P. and P. Souček. “Mutual Cytokine Crosstalk between Colon Cancer Cells and Microenvironment Initiates Development of Distant Metastases.” JAK-STAT 2, no. 2 (2013): 1-4.
- Vanhara, P., A. Hampl, A. Kozubik and K. Soucek. “Growth/Differentiation Factor-15: Prostate Cancer Suppressor or Promoter?” Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 15, no. 4 (2012): 320-8.
- Wittinger, M., P. Vanhara, A. El-Gazzar, B. Savarese-Brenner, D. Pils, M. Anees, T. W. Grunt, M. Sibilia, M. Holcmann, R. Horvat, M. Schemper, R. Zeillinger, C. Schofer, H. Dolznig, P. Horak and M. Krainer. “Hvps37a Status Affects Prognosis and Cetuximab Sensitivity in Ovarian Cancer.” Clin Cancer Res 17, no. 24 (2011): 7816-27.
- Kren, L., O. Slaby, K. Muckova, E. Lzicarova, M. Sova, V. Vybihal, T. Svoboda, et al. “Expression of Immune-Modulatory Molecules Hla-G and Hla-E by Tumor Cells in Glioblastomas: An Unexpected Prognostic Significance?“. Neuropathology 31, no. 2 (Apr 2011): 129-34.
- Kren, L., K. Muckova, E. Lzicarova, M. Sova, V. Vybihal, T. Svoboda, P. Fadrus, et al. “Production of Immune-Modulatory Nonclassical Molecules Hla-G and Hla-E by Tumor Infiltrating Ameboid Microglia/Macrophages in Glioblastomas: A Role in Innate Immunity?” J Neuroimmunol 220, no. 1-2 (Mar 30 2010): 131-5.
- Navratilova, J., P. Jungova, P. Vanhara, J. Preisler, V. Kanicky, and J. Smarda. “Copper Ions Regulate Cytotoxicity of Disulfiram to Myeloid Leukemia Cells.” Int J Mol Med 24, no. 5 (Nov 2009): 661-70.
- Pekar, S., and P. Vanhara. “Geographical Sexual Size Dimorphism in an Ant-Eating Spider, Zodarion Rubidum (Araneae : Zodariidae).” J Nat Hist 40, no. 21-22 (2006): 1343-50.
- Vanhara, P., V. Bryja, V. Horvath, A. Kozubik, A. Hampl, and J. Smarda. “c-Jun Induces Apoptosis of Starved BM2 Monoblasts by Activating Cyclin A-CDK2.” Biochem Biophys Res Commun 353, no. 1 (Feb 2 2007): 92-7.
- Vanhara, P., E. Lincova, A. Kozubik, P. Jurdic, K. Soucek, and J. Smarda. “Growth/Differentiation Factor-15 Inhibits Differentiation into Osteoclasts–a Novel Factor Involved in Control of Osteoclast Differentiation.” Differentiation 78, no. 4 (Nov 2009): 213-22.
- Vanhara, P., and J. Smarda. “Jun: The Master Regulator in Healthy and Cancer Cells.” J Appl Biomed 4, no. 4 (2006): 163-70.
- Vanhara P., Smarda J. “[Regulation of Osteoclast Activity: A New Approach in the Therapy of Bone Diseases].” Cas Lek Cesk 145, no. 8 (2006): 606-10.