Research Interests | Publications | Grants | Team Members | Awards | Collaborations | Open Positions
Mgr. Zuzana Koledová, Ph.D. JOIN OUR TEAM: OPEN POSITIONS!
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: +420 549 49 3549
- ORCID | Publons | ResearchGate | Scopus | Twitter
- Group leader at Masaryk University, Faculty of Medicine, Brno, CZ
- Post-doc experience from The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK & Masaryk University
- Ph.D. from Palacky University, Faculty of Medicine, Olomouc, CZ
- Guest Editor in Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology
- Associate Editor & Member of the Editorial board of the Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia
- Editor of the book 3D Cell Culture, Methods in Molecular Biology series, Springer Nature
Membership in International Scientific Societies
- Committee member of the European Network of Breast Development and Cancer labs
- Member of the Visegrád Group Society for Developmental Biology
- Member of the International Society of Developmental Biologists
We are interested in processes, which govern epithelial morphogenesis and homeostasis, and deregulation of which can lead to developmental defects and cancer. The main focus of the lab is on the role of mammary stromal cells in regulation of epithelial behaviour and the interplay of fibroblast growth factor signalling, cytokines and hormones in mammary gland morphogenesis and breast cancer. Our ultimate research goal is to understand, how organs are formed and how tumours emerge.
To this end, we use advanced 3D cell culture models (organoids) combined with state-of-the-art imaging techniques, genetic mouse models and mathematical modelling.
Our current research topics are:
- Regulation of mammary epithelial branched pattern formation by signalling pathways.
- The role of fibroblasts in mammary epithelial branching morphogenesis.
- Regulation of lactation.
- Mechanisms of breast cancer emergence and progression.
- Stem cells of the mammary gland and lung.
Rabata A, Fedr R, Soucek K, Hampl A* and Koledova Z* (2020). 3D cell culture models demonstrate a role for FGF and WNT signaling in regulation of lung epithelial cell fate and morphogenesis. Front. Cell Dev. Biol. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2020.00574 PUBLISHER
Koledova Z*, Sumbal J, Rabata A, de La Bourdonnaye G, Chaloupkova R, Hrdlickova B, Damborsky J and Stepankova V (2019). Fibroblast Growth Factor 2 Protein Stability Provides Decreased Dependence on Heparin for Induction of FGFR Signaling and Alters ERK Signaling Dynamics. Front. Cell Dev. Biol. 7. SCOPUS PUBMED PUBLISHER
Vafaizadeh V, Peuhu E, Mikkola ML, Khaled WT, Bentires-Alj M and Koledova Z* (2019). The Eleventh ENBDC Workshop: Advances in Technology Help to Unveil Mechanisms of Mammary Gland Development and Cancerogenesis. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 24, 201–206. SCOPUS PUBMED PUBLISHER
Koledova Z, Howard BA, Englund J, Bach K, Bentires-Alj M and Gonzalez-Suarez E (2018). European Network of Breast Development and Cancer turned 10 years: a growing family of mammary gland researchers. Breast Cancer Res. 20, 102. SCOPUS PUBMED PUBLISHER
Garlíková Z, Silva AC, Rabata A, Potěšil D, Ihnatová I, Dumková J, Koledova Z, Zdráhal Z, Vinarský V, Hampl A et al. (2018). Generation of a Close-to-Native In Vitro System to Study Lung Cells-Extracellular Matrix Crosstalk. Tissue Eng Part C Methods 24, 1–13. SCOPUS PUBMED PUBLISHER
Koledova Z (Ed.). 3D Cell Culture: Methods and Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology. Springer, New York. ISBN: 978-1-4939-7019-3. http://www.springer.com/us/book/9781493970193
Koledova Z* (2017). 3D Coculture of Mammary Organoids with Fibrospheres: A Model for Studying Epithelial-Stromal Interactions During Mammary Branching Morphogenesis. Methods Mol. Biol. 1612, 107–124. SCOPUS PUBMED PUBLISHER
Koledova Z* and Lu P* (2017). A 3D Fibroblast-Epithelium Co-culture Model for Understanding Microenvironmental Role in Branching Morphogenesis of the Mammary Gland. Methods Mol. Biol. 1501, 217–231. SCOPUS PUBMED PUBLISHER
Koledova Z, Zhang X, Streuli C, Clarke RB, Klein OD, Werb Z and Lu P (2016). SPRY1 regulates mammary epithelial morphogenesis by modulating EGFR-dependent stromal paracrine signaling and ECM remodeling. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 113, E5731-5740. SCOPUS PUBMED PUBLISHER
Zhang X, Martinez D, Koledova Z, Qiao G, Streuli C and Lu P (2014). FGF ligands of the postnatal mammary stroma regulate distinct aspects of epithelial morphogenesis. Development 141, 3352–3362. SCOPUS PUBMED PUBLISHER
Jakub Sumbal – “Cell Signaling in Tissue Morphogenesis – What can we learn from breast“ at Medicine as a Science, Charles University, Prague, CZ
Zuzana Koledová – “Shaping the Breast: Mechanisms of Mammary Gland Morphogenesis” at Principal Investigator seminar series, Masaryk University, Brno, CZ
Zuzana Koledová – “Fibroblasts and fibroblast growth factor signalling in mammary gland development” at Breast Cancer Now Seminar Series, Manchester Breast Centre, Manchester, UK
Zuzana Koledová – “Miniorgány z laboratoře” at Science and Technology Club, Masaryk University, Brno, CZ
We are grateful for funding and support by Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MŠMT), Czech Science Foundation (GAČR), Technology Agency of Czech Republic (TAČR), Masaryk University, Czech Bioimaging, and JCMM.
- Anas Rabata, PhD student
- Jakub Sumbal, P-Pool student
- Denisa Belisová, Master student
- Nela Krupová, Master student
- Kateřina Furchová, Bachelor student
- Tereza Wagnerová, Bachelor student
- Martina Súkupová, Bachelor student
- Kateřina Janásková, high-school student
- Ema Grofová, high-school student
Alumni: Adriána Baloghová, Tereza Vránová, Júlia Mošková, Matěj Rádsetoulal, Lucie Konvičková
Alumni high-school students: Anna Blahová, Adam Pikna, Eliška Jandová, Lenka Vičarová
- Ema Grofová: 2nd place at the national level of competition in Secondary School Research.
- Ema Grofová: 2nd place in the Southmoravian Region round of Secondary School Research competition.
- Zuzana Koledová: Best Presentation Award in the Autumn 2019 Principal Investigator Seminar series at Masaryk University.
- Jakub Sumbal: 1st place at “The Biomania Student Scientific Meeting & EUSynBioS Symposium 2019” in Brno, CZ (talk).
- Denisa Belisová: 1st place at “The Biomania Student Scientific Meeting & EUSynBioS Symposium 2019” in Brno, CZ (poster).
- Jakub Sumbal: 1st place at “International Student Congress” in Graz, Austria (talk).
- Anas Rabata: 1st place at “1st Stem Cell Biology Meeting” in Prušánky, CZ (poster).
- Jakub Sumbal: 2nd place at “International Student Congress” in Graz, Austria (talk).
- Jakub Sumbal: Amgen Scholars European Programme, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France (summer research programme).
- Jakub Sumbal: 2nd place at “Amgen Scholars Closing Ceremony” in Paris, France (poster).
- Jakub Sumbal: 1st prize at “Visegrad Group Society for Developmental Biology: Inaugural Meeting” in Brno, CZ (talk, student section).
- Jakub Sumbal: 1st prize at “XIX. Meeting of Biochemists and Molecular Biologists” in Brno, CZ (talk, student section).
- Zuzana Koledová: 1st place at the “XVII. Interdisciplinary Meeting of Young Biologists, Biochemists and Chemists” in Milovy, CZ (talk, section Biochemistry and Molecular Biology).
- Jakub Sumbal: 1st place at “The Biomania Student Scientific Meeting” in Brno, CZ (talk).
- Anas Rabata: 2nd place at “Stem Cells and Cell therapy: From research to modern clinical application” (talk, Černá Hora, CZ)
- Jiří Damborský – Loschmidt laboratories and Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno
- Jiří Kohoutek – Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University, Brno
- Libor Streit – International Clinical Research Center, St. Anne’s Hospital, Brno
- Giancarlo Forte – International Clinical Research Center, St. Anne’s Hospital, Brno
- Edgar Benjamin Montufar Jimenez – CEITEC-Brno University of Technology, Brno
- Michal Kozubek, Martin Maška – Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University, Brno
- Radka Chaloupková – Enantis Ltd., Brno
- Alexander W. Bruce – Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia, České Budějovice
- Han Li, Aurélie Chiche – Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
- Alison Kuony – Institut Jacques Monod, Paris, France
- Europe-wide collaborations within the European Network of Breast Development and Cancer
Science Communication, Public Engagement
communicating science to high-school students: JCMM, Bioskop
Reports on our work – TV, press release
Open Positions – 2020!
We welcome enthusiastic students and scientists to join our team. Several undergraduate (Master, Bachelor, P-Pool), graduate (PhD student) and PostDoc positions are available! Please, contact Zuzana Koledová to enquire on open positions: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD student positions: Cellular and signaling mechanisms of mammary epithelial morphogenesis.
- Applications will open shortly. Expected deadline: October, 2020